Thursday, May 26, 2005

World wide wrip off

you pay your money . . .

It's amazing, when it comes to the topic of web hosting, how difficult it can be to host your site.

My website, link on the right, is my first try at a website. When I started it I contacted the hosting company to check they were ok with it. They were, so I paid my dues and got on with learning all about dreamweaver and video downloads.

That was almost a year ago, but with one thing and another, the site did not 'go live' until just before christmas.

Since then the site has been attracting quite a few hits, but I never realised how many.

Until now.

I have paid for some basic stats to enable me to keep tracks on things - and see if i am indeed using a huge amount of bandwith and attracting lots of visitors.

But I did this for a reason

and that reason was the poor service i had from my hosts, as they pulled my site one day with no warning what so ever.

It was a friend who alerted me to the fact my site was down. I thought nothing of it, as there have been minor server problems before. But when I tried to log in to my own site, nothing. After contacting them, and waiting four days for a reply I was informed my site had been pulled. I was shocked, amazed that this could happen without being notified by my host provider, and furious it had happened at all.

Eventually, some seven days after the site went down, I won the right to reinstate it. It turned out that the high number of visitors to the site had caused problems. This was an outrage as I had a contract for unlimited bandwidth and usage. Once I threatened to sue the company in question, I won the argument. But as one final protest, it took them another week to reinstall my site.

During this down time for the site, something else happened. A good friend who runs a similar site, and who very kindly gave me lots of advice, tips and time when I developed my site made an offer.

The offer was to put my site on his server. This webdid, and a few days laterbthe same fatevwas bestowed on his site as had been inflicted upon mine the week earlier.

This was bad news, as jis site had been succesful for a number of years, and had never experienced such a problem. I felt bad.

It now transpires that after various emails, his site has been permanently pulled. I don’t quite understand the in's and out's, or understand why he can't rectify the problem and revert back to the way it was, but the site is still down to this day.

I am very sorry this happened, not that any fault or responsibility falls on me.

It just amazes me that host companies can mess around so much after someone has paid their money. They seem to be able to do as they like, unchallenged.

Well, with a house move fast approaching, I am looking to maybe have an online server at home, and bypass these idiots and host those sites and thus cut out all the crap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home